- the act of spitting (forcefully expelling saliva)
- the process of coughing up and spitting out
How To Use expectoration In A Sentence
- Inhalation of hypertonic saline can be used to obtain sputum from most nonexpectorating patients, and provides a larger volume than achieved by spontaneous expectoration.
- In general it suits better with cases of pneumonia than in ardent fevers; for the bath soothes the pain in the side, chest, and back; concocts the sputa, promotes expectoration, improves the respiration, and allays lassitude; for it soothes the joints and outer skin, and is diuretic, removes heaviness of the head, and moistens the nose. On Regimen In Acute Diseases
- It becomes more frequent, the more unhygienically the patients handle their expectoration, the more there is a lack of light and air, and the more closely the sick are crowded together with the healthy. Robert Koch - Nobel Lecture
- But there are cases in which hydromel, strongly acid, does not promote expectoration, but renders it more viscid and thus does harm, and it is most apt to produce these bad effects in cases which are otherwise of a fatal character, when the patient is unable to cough or bring up the sputa. On Regimen In Acute Diseases
- Perhaps Diouf's occasional penchant for expectoration is a little more difficult to defend. Think Diouf is vile? Listen to the fans | Kevin McKenna
- When strongly acid it has no mean operation in rendering the expectoration more easy, for by bringing up the sputa, which occasion troublesome hawking, and rendering them more slippery, and, as it were, clearing the windpipe with a feather, it relieves the lungs and proves emollient to them; and when it succeeds in producing these effects it must do much good. On Regimen In Acute Diseases
- But if taken intermediate between oxymel and hydromel, in small quantity, it promotes expectoration from the change which it occasions in the qualities of these drinks, for it produces, as it were, a certain overflow. On Regimen In Acute Diseases
- Sundew in toxical quantities, developed hoarseness, with expectoration of yellow mucus from the throat and upper lungs, as well as a hacking cough, and loss of flesh, this combination of symptoms closely resembling the form of tubercular consumption which begins in the throat, and extends mischievously to the lungs. Herbal Simples Approved for Modern Uses of Cure
- Patients with tuberculosis empyema present with chest pain, breathlessness, cough with expectoration, fever, and toxaemia.
- Patients with mild disease may only cough during exacerbations, but eventually cough becomes a daily occurrence, usually associated with expectoration of sputum.