[ UK /ɛkspˈɛktənt/ ]
[ US /ɪkˈspɛktənt/ ]
[ US /ɪkˈspɛktənt/ ]
in an advanced stage of pregnancy
was big with child
was great with child
marked by eager anticipation
an expectant hush
How To Use expectant In A Sentence
- They crowded around me and watched me expectantly, as if I would spill my darkest, most revealing secrets.
- He dips his chin, and just as an expectant gasp ripples through the crowd, Eddie launches himself over the wall into a bramble of wild roses.
- Nutritional research also suggests that an expectant mother can influence her sprog's future food preferences by the dietary choices she made during pregnancy.
- Smoking by expectant mothers may increase the chances of brain damage in their babies.
- I have been in relation successively with the English and American evacuant and alterative practice, in which calomel and antimony figured so largely that, as you may see in Dr. Jackson's last "Letter," Dr. Holyoke, a good representative of sterling old-fashioned medical art, counted them with opium and Peruvian bark as his chief remedies; with the moderately expectant practice of Louis; the blood-letting "coup sur coup" of Bouillaud; the contra-stimulant method of Rasori and his followers; the anti-irritant system of Broussais, with its leeching and gum-water; I have heard from our own students of the simple opium practice of the renowned German teacher, Oppolzer; and now I find the medical community brought round by the revolving cycle of opinion to that same old plan of treatment which John Brown taught in Edinburgh in the last quarter of the last century, and Miner and Tully fiercely advocated among ourselves in the early years of the present. Medical Essays, 1842-1882
- It was once Britain's default shopping destination for expectant mums and doting grandparents. Times, Sunday Times
- The pressure on England today will not be provided by Andorra but their own expectant fans. Times, Sunday Times
- Anything that helps expectant mothers to be less afraid of the pain and trauma of childbirth can only be a good thing. Times, Sunday Times
- The chosen 22 walked out into the most expectant atmosphere Lansdowne Road has witnessed in years, the feverish mood of the moment intensified by rival national anthems sung with exceptional fervour.
- And then he just stands there, with his expectant face, expecting extra reward just for doing his job. Times, Sunday Times