[ US /ˈɛksədəs/ ]
[ UK /ˈɛksədəs/ ]
[ UK /ˈɛksədəs/ ]
- a journey by a large group to escape from a hostile environment
How To Use exodus In A Sentence
- As Tunisians flooded Lampedusa earlier this month, Italian Interior Minister Roberto Maroni, of the anti-immigrant Northern League, stoked fears that terrorists and al-Qaida supporters could have mingled among what he described as a "biblical exodus" of migrants. The Seattle Times
- When the great exodus from the cities around San Francisco Bay began, and while the telephones were still working, I talked with my brother. Page 6
- The root causes of the horse shortage are year-round racing and a mass exodus of owners and breeders from racing.
- Mansfield Park has seen such an exodus of players during the summer that the turnstiles must have been rotating at the speed of a carnival ride.
- Griselde, once again, accepted her fate and protested her love for the marquis, solely requesting her dignity upon exodus from the palace.
- A massive exodus of doctors is forcing the government to recruit from abroad.
- The Jews seem to have performed the rite of circumcision with flint implements, for we read in Exodus that Zipporah, the wife of Moses, took a sharp stone for that purpose; and the phrase translated "sharp knives" in Joshua v. 2 -- "At that time the Lord said unto Joshua, Make thee sharp knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time" -- should be translated, as in the marginal reference, _knives of flint_. Roman Mosaics Or, Studies in Rome and Its Neighbourhood
- The findings have renewed fears of an exodus of young people from an independent Scotland. Times, Sunday Times
- This Decalogue, which is often called the ritual Decalogue, so it's listed on there in Exodus 34, bans intermarriage with Canaanites less they entice the Israelites into worship of their gods.
- Version but four times in all, always in poetical passages; the first in (Exodus 15: 14) and Isai 14: 29 The second (Joel 3: 4) In each case the Hebrew is Pelesheth, a word found, besides the above, only in (Psalms 60: 8; 83: 7; 87: 4) and Psal 108: 9 In all which our translators have rendered it by "Philistia" or Smith's Bible Dictionary