[ UK /ɛksˈɛpʃənəl/ ]
[ US /ɪkˈsɛpʃənəɫ/ ]
[ US /ɪkˈsɛpʃənəɫ/ ]
surpassing what is common or usual or expected
a matter of particular and unusual importance
a special reason to confide in her
a special occasion
what's so special about the year 2000?
he paid especial attention to her
deviating widely from a norm of physical or mental ability; used especially of children below normal in intelligence
special educational provisions for exceptional children
far beyond what is usual in magnitude or degree
the young Mozart's prodigious talents
a night of exceeding darkness
olympian efforts to save the city from bankruptcy
an exceptional memory
How To Use exceptional In A Sentence
- The Israelis already possess them, operating disingenuously and outside international norms again, an exceptionalism granted by the United States’ favor andmight. The Volokh Conspiracy » Pro-Palestinian “Peace Activists”
- This investment trust has delivered exceptional returns over the past few years by riding a wave of mergers, acquisitions and innovation. Times, Sunday Times
- A few talented writers en dowed with originality and exceptional animation, a few brilliant efforts, isolated, without following, interrupted and recommenced, did not suffice to endow a nation with a solid and imposing basis of literary wealth. Literary and Philosophical Essays: French, German and Italian
- The publication of Quantum Leaps is not a fluke; rather it is an exceptionally clear manifestation of the taint, stigma, and taboo surrounding the paranormal.
- His exceptional talent at putting acrylics and oils together on board and letting them ooze is a lesson on how to do this kind of thing and all those kids in ARI-land should get down to the Wynne and check it out.
- Promotion in the first year is only given in exceptional circumstances .
- Constructed to an exceptionally high specification and standard, they have associated mechanical and electrical engineering services.
- If he has managed to get rid of all the bad news, amounting to £1.3bn of exceptionals, which led to the company reporting a net loss of £1.02 bn, then there should be room for considerable upside in the group's fortunes over the next year.
- In many areas, this year's bumper crop means exceptionally high removal of nutrients.
- Figures like this are exceptional in the extreme and give a completely unrepresentative impression of the national picture.