by virtue of an office or position
the head of the department serves as an ex officio member of the board
by virtue of position
the president sat on the committee ex officio
How To Use ex officio In A Sentence
- The abbess was a baroness _ex officio_, and the revenue at the dissolution of the monasteries was £1084. Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, Volume 3, Part 1, Slice 3 "Banks" to "Bassoon"
- the head of the department serves as an ex officio member of the board
- A queer shavetail with a carbine in a foxhole at Iwo Jima, he went on the become an ex officio judge of the annual poetry contest at the Japanese Imperial Court. Seidensticker’s Passing
- It is extraordinarily wasteful of the talents of a broad range of people, when we proceed as if leadership could only exist ex officio, as if conferral of office created a leader, as if leadership were non-existent apart from administrative titles. Thomas Worcester: Do Good Leaders Abound In The Catholic Church?
- Governor of the Straits Settlements being _ex officio_ the High Where the Strange Trails Go Down Sulu, Borneo, Celebes, Bali, Java, Sumatra, Straits Settlements, Malay States, Siam, Cambodia, Annam, Cochin-China
- the president sat on the committee ex officio
- In the object, the facts related with personal relationship, ex officio and judicial notice can not be made self-admission.
- Major Anderson and his wife were now ex officio members of the sanctuary, thanks to their work on the aqueduct. RUSHING TO PARADISE