[ US /ˌɛvəˈɫuʃən, ˌɛvoʊˈɫuʃən, ˌivəˈɫuʃən, ˌivoʊˈɫuʃən/ ]
[ UK /ɪvəlˈuːʃən/ ]
[ UK /ɪvəlˈuːʃən/ ]
- (biology) the sequence of events involved in the evolutionary development of a species or taxonomic group of organisms
a process in which something passes by degrees to a different stage (especially a more advanced or mature stage)
the development of his ideas took many years
the evolution of Greek civilization
the slow development of her skill as a writer
How To Use evolution In A Sentence
- Leaked Reports Detail Iran's Aid for Iraqi Militias," blared the headline on afront page story inThe New York Times, which went on to report on several incidents recounted in WikiLeaks documents that journalist Michael Gordon called "the shadow war between the United States and Iraqi militias backed by Iran's Revolutionary Guards. Ali Gharib: What Did WikiLeaks Really Tell Us About Iran?
- We must remember that the prime motive for Housmann's boulevards and circuses was to ensure that a strategically placed cannon could fire down many streets, quelling the citizens who were periodically disposed to revolution.
- There had been formerly on the pathways of Dardilly calvaries built by pious forebears; destroyed on order of the revolutionary proconsul of Lyon, the famous Fouché, the crosses lay in the grass. Archive 2008-03-09
- Having had some narrow escapes the priest was eventually arrested as a recusant priest and was tried by revolutionary Court.
- He still describes himself as a communist, and still calls for a revolution.
- It's an evolutionary trick to distract the pursuer, much as lizards lose their tails.
- (Applause) Without boasting, without any kind of immodesty, that is how we Cuban revolutionaries understand our internationalist duty. TRICONTINENTAL CONFERENCE
- I hope my work on the evolution of cooperation helps the world avoid conflict.
- The portrait, reputed to be the most widely reproduced photograph in the world, has come to symbolize not just the ideals of the Cuban revolution but of revolution in general.
- This was the first bloodless revolution the city, which has been burned down forty times in its history.