[ UK /ˈiːvənsˌɒŋ/ ]
- (Anglican Church) a daily evening service with prayers prescribed in the Book of Common Prayer
- the sixth of the seven canonical hours of the divine office; early evening; now often made a public service on Sundays
How To Use evensong In A Sentence
- At St Anne's in neighbouring Strathfield he responded to Anglican ‘matins and evensong, the canticles, the psalms, the hymns, the Bible readings’, and became a choirboy.
- Or that nobody who is good at sports ought to be "morally upright" iow, not sleep with team-mates wives, girlfriends or partners, or swear gratuitously on every occasion or enjoy a decent choral evensong? Why are English sporting heroes so dull? | Kevin McKenna
- At 7 p.m. we'll have a choral evensong, which is designed for congregation participation," Chapman said. "Land of Lakes Choirboys" paying visit to Macon, GA
- And they had question together until evensong time which of them both should entame or begin to take of the bread. The Golden Legend, vol. 2
- Evensong was half over when the preacher arrived, and the church being full Mark was given a chair by the sidesman in a dark corner, which presently became darker when Father Rowley went up into the pulpit, for all the lights were lowered except those above the preacher's head, and nothing was visible in the church except the luminous crucifix upon the High Altar. The Altar Steps
- I'll attend evensong in the Cathedral tonight, and- ' `Oh no! ABSOLUTE TRUTHS
- With the right wind, he might one day hear the evensong of the bailiffs, wrestling with protesters, ripping down their tents. Hugh Muir's diary
- Pre-order your poulet rouge, a slow-growing French breed of chicken prized for its rich flavor, from Evensong ($5 per pound). Market Roundup: Sept 30-Oct. 7
- The Lincoln incident happened during Evensong on Tuesday when a Victorian oak altar and a 40-year-old altar frontal were set ablaze in the Morning Chapel in the minster's north west corner.
- As often with good things, this has come my way via Nico, whose own Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis don't seem to be available yet on his website but were broadcast as performed by Girton and Clare College choirs, Cambridge on the BBC Choral Evensong program in February. Some insanely good music