[ UK /ɛnlˈaɪtənd/ ]
[ US /ˌɛnˈɫaɪtənd/ ]
[ US /ˌɛnˈɫaɪtənd/ ]
people who have been introduced to the mysteries of some field or activity
it is very familiar to the initiate
- having knowledge and spiritual insight
characterized by full comprehension of the problem involved
an educated guess
an enlightened electorate
How To Use enlightened In A Sentence
- When in the following October the nobody met Katsu Kaishu, the enlightened commissioners of the shogun's navy, it might have been with intent to assassinate him.
- People who have a broad interest in the subject but who lack the historical and ideological framework for a fuller, informed reading, will be gently and entertainingly enlightened here.
- He was neither a wit nor a brilliant raconteur, neither well-read nor well-educated, and he made no great contribution to enlightened social converse.
- And like past challenges to civilization, such barbarism thrives on Western appeasement and considers enlightened deference as weakness, if not decadence.
- This bespeaks a progressive, enlightened court, hardly stifling and revolt-inducing.
- Holiness answers audience questions addressing the situation of Tibet, goal of bodhicitta, nature of enlightened mind, future of the Dalai Lama institution, compatibility of Buddhist practices with theistic faith, universal purpose of human life, practice of patience towards harm-doers, subtle energy and mind, and the Heart Sutra mantra. Nagarjuna's Bodhichitta Commentary
- Outrages like the Thomas case make it a good deal more difficult for enlightened penal reformers like the Professor to get a fair hearing when they advocate bringing back the lash.
- Perhaps you wonder how so numerous a race of these beings has come to exist; but that boy at your elbow, bending under the weight of his literary burden, is a colporteur for converting the men and women of this "enlightened nation" to rowdyism. The Elements of Character
- I have to say here, that the corps de ballet (that's the poncy equivalent of the chorus line, for you unenlightened) were the biggest bunch of clodhopping hoofers I've ever seen.
- How grateful and enlightened he must be to have that cleared up: one wouldn't want a thicko to write one's autobiography.