[ UK /ɛnɡɹˈeɪvɪŋ/ ]
[ US /ɪnˈɡɹeɪvɪŋ/ ]
[ US /ɪnˈɡɹeɪvɪŋ/ ]
- making engraved or etched plates and printing designs from them
- a block or plate or other hard surface that has been engraved
- a print made from an engraving
How To Use engraving In A Sentence
- Since draughtsmanship was the foundation of all his art, engravings, etchings, lithographs, linocuts, and drawings poured from him in astonishing quantity and quality.
- The engraving shows that Geometry / Melancholy has not succeeded in fashioning a regular dodecahedron.
- Tasteful engraving highlighted these silver mounts and inlays, as well as the case-hardened lock.
- I saw a picture not long since, in Edinburgh, copied from an engraving in Boydell's Shakspeare; subject, -- "Lear (and suite) in the storm," but coloured according to the imagination and taste of the artist; its name ought assuredly to have been _Redcap and the blue-devils_, for the venerable and lamented monarch had fine streaming locks of the real _carrot hue_, whilst his very hideous companions showed _blue_ faces, and blue armour; and with their strangely contorted bodies seemed meet representatives of some of the infernal court. The Mirror of Literature, Amusement, and Instruction Volume 12, No. 341, November 15, 1828
- This set of engravings and autotypes was assembled from various sources during the early part of the 20th century.
- A popular engraving showed the desired way forward. Earthly Powers: Religion and Politics in Europe from the Enlightenment to the Great War
- The shop specialises in maps, engravings, and prints from 1570 onwards.
- Because many books were robbed of steel engravings to put into Granger's history, such mutilation came to be known as grangerizing.
- Upon the stone was an engraving of an altar, upon which a sacrificial fire was burning, and before it a suppliant family bowed the knee; over this was thrown a white vestment archwise in the form of a rainbow. Eastern Tales by Many Story Tellers
- Riggs had executed scrollwork on more than 75 percent of the big Smith and then had it satin nickeled to better show off the engraving.