- tall spruce of Rocky Mountains and British Columbia with blue-green needles and acutely conic crown; wood used for rough lumber and boxes
How To Use Engelmann spruce In A Sentence
- Vegetative cover is extremely diverse: alpine environments contain various herb, lichen and shrub associations; whereas the subalpine environment has tree species such as lodgepole pine, subalpine fir, silver fir, grand fir, and Engelmann spruce. Northwestern Forested Mountains ecoregion (CEC)
- Bristlecone and Engelmann spruce were codominant in the stand, with limber pine an associate. Cutting Down the Oldest Living Tree in the World « Climate Audit
- At higher elevations, it is seral to subalpine fir and Engelmann spruce. Ecoregions of Wyoming (EPA)
- Winter snowfall accumulates as a snowpack and the high elevation Engelmann spruce, subalpine fir and limber pine forests provide an essential cover so that the snow melts slowly in the springtime and feeds the headwaters of the mighty Colorado River which drains one tenth of the land base in the lower 48 states. Dr. Reese Halter: Global Warming, Drought and the Grim Reaper
- It occupied an area that includes both lower and upper cordilleran and subalpine ecoregions, typically characterized by closed forests of lodge-pole pine, Engelmann spruce, aspen and poplar.
- Potential natural vegetation includes subalpine fir and Engelmann spruce, with lodgepole pine as a seral species. Ecoregions of Wyoming (EPA)
- It is dominated by tree species that thrive in cool, humid climates with heavy snow cover, such as subalpine fir and Engelmann spruce. Ecoregions of Utah (EPA)
- Subalpine forest has subalpine fir, Engelmann spruce, lodgepole pine, and mountain ash.
- Four species, White Spruce (Picea glauca), Engelmann Spruce (Piceaengelmanni), Lodgepole Pine (Pinus contorta), and Alpine Fir (Abieslaciocarpa) comprise the spruce-pine-fir species group.