[ US /ɛnˈɡeɪdʒ/ ]
[ UK /ɛnɡˈeɪdʒ/ ]
[ UK /ɛnɡˈeɪdʒ/ ]
carry out or participate in an activity; be involved in
She pursued many activities
They engaged in a discussion
make sure the gear is engaged
engage for service under a term of contract
Let's rent a car
We took an apartment on a quiet street
Shall we take a guide in Rome?
engaged the gears
- give to in marriage
hire for work or assistance
engage aid, help, services, or support
consume all of one's attention or time
Her interest in butterflies absorbs her completely
ask to represent; of legal counsel
I'm retaining a lawyer
carry on (wars, battles, or campaigns)
Napoleon and Hitler waged war against all of Europe
engage or hire for work
How many people has she employed?
They hired two new secretaries in the department
How To Use engage In A Sentence
- We had engaged a very nice mare and stanhope, which we knew we could depend upon, when, the day before the race, the chestnut was declared lame, and not a presentable four-legged animal was to be hired in Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, Volume 59, No. 363, January, 1846
- Rules exist to be violated, so that the ‘bastard’ may be more violently characterized and the audience engaged in revengeful fury.
- The services of the laboratory are offered gratuitously to any scientist or graduate student engaged in research which makes a significant contribution to progress in the fields of science.
- It engages in iron ore mining, pellet production, manganese ore mining and ferroalloy production, as well as in the production of nonferrous minerals, such as kaolin, potash, copper and gold. Five BRIC Strength Stocks
- The plaintiff had sued one member, Hunter, of a committee of the management of a hospital which had engaged him.
- He engaged in endless litigation against the media.
- They don't really need the conversational crutch of football, but they engage to connect with their colleagues. Times, Sunday Times
- These results indicate that, depending on the unique features of a given learning, experience, very different classes of mechanisms can be engaged to subserve memory in a particular time domain.
- She should not be engaged in remunerative work.
- He is engaged in a bitter struggle with his rival to get control of the company.