put in possession of land in exchange for a pledge of service, in feudal society
He enfeoffed his son-in-law with a large estate in Scotland
How To Use enfeoff In A Sentence
- Shun4b, who had seconded and guided [the Emperor before he was appointed] and had been his former benefactor, there was added to his enfeoffment [the income of] five hundred households. The History of the Former Han Dynasty
- This voice comes from the coal and tin mines, from the factories and the sugar mills, from the enfeoffed land, where the heirs of MASS MEETING IN PLAZA CIVICA
- It gives an abbreviated form of the story of Shu Yu of Tang's enfeoffment, and he is designated the shrine's subject of worship.
- At first it seems to have been confined to the enfeoffment of the emperor's sons, but later it was extended to other important matters, so that the standard practise in enacting an administrative measure, even the appointment of an Empress, came to be that some official or group would memorialize the Emperor concerning what they thought should be done, and the Emperor approved the suggestion. The History of the Former Han Dynasty
- Fu Yen had been enfeoffed on May 3, four days before Emperor Ai came to the throne; The History of the Former Han Dynasty
- His rights cannot be established by possession from time immemorial, nor by innumerable and regular acquittances; he must produce the act of enfeoffment which is many centuries old, the lease which has never, perhaps, been written out, the primitive title already rare in 1720,  and since stolen or burnt in the recent jacqueries: otherwise he is despoiled without indemnity. The French Revolution - Volume 1
- In the case of princely houses, he would draw up treaties, record edicts, and draft the documents which granted feudal enfeoffment. HISTORIOGRAPHY
- Though not of the weak lot which is enfeoffed to popularity, she liked to be regarded kindly, and would rather win a smile than exact a courtesy. Mary Anerley
- Under the feudal system, enfeoffment was the deed by which a person was given land in exchange for a pledge of service. Should the President be working harder?
- When Wang Chia1a opposed this proposed enfeoffment. he was removed and finally executed. The History of the Former Han Dynasty