[ US /ɪmˈpænəɫ/ ]
select from a list
empanel prospective jurors
- enter into a list of prospective jurors
How To Use empanel In A Sentence
- “My personal view of whether doubt exists as to what a second jury would do is not a subtitute for actually empaneling a second jury.” The Volokh Conspiracy » Irkick v. Bell:
- In a brazen demonstration of willfulness, AMC proceeded to trial without an expert, empanelling a jury for three days without even the remotest possibility of success on its infringement claim. Patentee's Litigation Deemed "A Collosal Waste of Time"; Sanctions Granted
- He goes from a panel of three "Idol" judges to empanelling a jury. CNN Transcript May 8, 2008
- That's the commission that Peskin himself helped create a couple of years back, with the idea of empanelling a body of "experts" who could put the brakes on any of the mayor's ambitious development proposals. SFGate: Top News Stories
- After Whitman obtained her excuse from having to serve as a juror, fortunately -- for the people of the state who want to see state laws protecting children from child molesters enforced in courtrooms that require jurors for their function -- there were still some "little people" left in the venire from which a jury could be empanelled. David Coleman: Is Meg Whitman California's Version of Leona Helmsley?
- After the trial commenced, but before a jury was empanelled, counsel embarked on a series of applications relating primarily to the admissibility of evidence.
- It might command the sheriff to require a defendant to appear and show cause; to seize property unless a defendant justified the keeping of it; to empanel a jury; and so on.
- His cure for what ails us calls for empanelling a blue ribbon study group like the 911 Commission, sounding like reform the same way that a pneumatic jack-hammer sounds like a dial tone. Will Durst: Old Piranha Pants
- If Steven is up for it I would love to have him judge - and if not, maybe I can empanel some people since it looks liek the concensus is to have several categories in order to coak the lurkers who have been intimidated by some of the entries into taking part. Paper Chef #19, The Results
- Then they empaneled a grand jury and brought DAs from every county around Colorado, and they all came to the same conclusion.