- a collection of classical Greek marble sculptures and fragments of architecture created by Phidias; chiefly from the Parthenon in Athens
How To Use Elgin Marbles In A Sentence
- Greece's attempts to get the British government to return the Elgin Marbles have met another roadblock, this time from within.
- From their arrival in England the ‘Elgin Marbles’ had a revolutionary impact on European taste, and the Parthenon sculptures are still considered to mark the apogee of Greek art.
- I'd do the Elgin Marbles with a sledgehammer and wipe my ass with the Mona Lira.
- Liapis said Monday it is time for all Greek political leaders to increase pressure on Britain to hand over the ancient sculptures, also known as the Elgin Marbles.
- Echoing the pleas of the Greeks for the repatriation of the Elgin marbles, Egypt has appealed to the British Museum for the return of the Rosetta Stone.
- The rocking-horse's nose couldn't turn up, it was the purest Grecian, modelled from the Elgin marbles. The Brownies and Other Tales
- His reputation as an arbiter of taste suffered after an ill-considered attack on the quality of the Elgin Marbles in 1816.
- A museum has opened in Athens with a special gallery for the Elgin Marbles, Greek sculptures which have been in the British Museum in London for nearly 200 years and are still there.
- The British Museum yesterday received its first official proposal from Greece in its campaign for the return of the controversial Elgin Marbles.
- But the British Museum caused a sensation in the early 1800s when it dared display the Elgin Marbles.