[ US /ˈɛɫəɡənt/ ]
[ UK /ˈɛlɪɡənt/ ]
[ UK /ˈɛlɪɡənt/ ]
refined and tasteful in appearance or behavior or style
an elegant mathematical solution--simple and precise and lucid
small churches with elegant white spires
an elegant dark suit
she was elegant to her fingertips
displaying effortless beauty and simplicity in movement or execution
an elegant dancer
an elegant mathematical solution -- simple and precise
- suggesting taste, ease, and wealth
How To Use elegant In A Sentence
- There are some trademark pieces - elegant-legged tables and high-quality marquetry - mixed in with contemporary designer furniture, antique shop finds and some very in-your-face art.
- An early season bloomer, about 18-inches tall, its subtle fragrance has been described as elegant, sweet, and tartly fruity.
- Rich, warm string tone, sweet, elegant winds, and mellow, sonorous brass are the hallmarks of the ‘Saxony sound’.
- Northampton was another elegant county town and regional market centre and was known far and wide for its horse fairs.
- Any tartness and capers seemed to have abandoned this dish for a more elegant life, leaving a creamy, flavourless gloop on the plate.
- The bold provisionality and elegant openness of Merz's installations, as well as his own freewheeling personal presence and oracular writings, helped make him the most widely recognized of all the Arte Povera artists.
- Personally, I don't wear separates, but one can wear them occasionally to freshen their style and wardrobe, with a whole new casual yet elegant look.
- Perhaps inspired by the elegant Georgian style houses he recalled from his boyhood in Haverhill, Massachusetts, he trimmed his two-story clapboarded house with quoins and a cornice with dentils.
- Situated only eight miles from Manchester's bustling city centre and with superb views over the Pennines, the elegant Norton Grange Hotel at Rochdale offers fine four-star accommodation within landscaped grounds.
- The first is a long, sleeveless silk dress, which has a looser cut that is "beachy, floaty and has movement" but which also has a slight air of "drama" due to its elegant, floor-dusting hemline. Packing Just Enough for a Weekend at the Beach