[ UK /ɪlˈɛkʃən/ ]
[ US /ɪˈɫɛkʃən/ ]
[ US /ɪˈɫɛkʃən/ ]
a vote to select the winner of a position or political office
the results of the election will be announced tonight
the status or fact of being elected
they celebrated his election
the act of selecting someone or something; the exercise of deliberate choice
her election of medicine as a profession
- the predestination of some individuals as objects of divine mercy (especially as conceived by Calvinists)
How To Use election In A Sentence
- Several selections contain strings of double notes, primarily thirds and sixths.
- The scale of the economic gulf between the two parties came as two polls yesterday showed that the election remained wide open. Times, Sunday Times
- Two more debates are scheduled in the coming weeks, one debate dealing with education and health will be held in Irbid next week and the final week before elections the southern city of Karak will witness a candidates debate on agriculture and development. Daoud Kuttab: Jordanian Candidate Uses Debate to Call for Curtailing King's Powers
- They are trying to rush through the draft resolution before the general election.
- A third-party group headed by a GOP operative is out with a new Nevada ad spot encouraging Latinos in the state not to cast votes in this year's midterm elections. GOP-Linked 'Latinos For Reform' Airs Nevada Ads Urging Hispanics Not To Vote (VIDEO)
- But Arthur's do-gooder streak didn't particularly please other Republicans, and he became one of the few Presidents to fail to win his own party's nomination for re-election.
- It has a great selection of frocks and summer party wear. Times, Sunday Times
- It also discusses the harm in detail according to the comparison of acid gases between different. the research provides selection of fire-extinguishing agents in terms of harms.
- set up an election
- The presidential election will be conducted against a backdrop of seismic political and economic turmoil. Times, Sunday Times