[ UK /ɪlˈeɪt/ ]
[ US /ɪˈɫeɪt/ ]
[ US /ɪˈɫeɪt/ ]
fill with high spirits; fill with optimism
Music can uplift your spirits
How To Use elate In A Sentence
- When the new foods that came from the Americas - peppers, summer squash and especially tomatoes - took hold in the region, a number of closely related dishes were born, including what we call ratatouille - and a man from La Mancha calls pisto, an Ikarian Greek calls soufiko and a Turk calls turlu. NYT > Home Page
- The old rates were at least indirectly related to income; the new tax takes no account of a person's ability to pay.
- Interior spaces may also be gendered: the author explores both the activities particular to women, such as needlework or lace-making, and the objects related to female and maternal domesticity.
- Another trend referred to two related areas – increased user-centeredness and increased inter-disciplinarity. Archive 2008-02-01
- Net interest income dropped to $256.4 million, primarily due to the low market-interest rates that resulted in lower yields on mortgage-related interest-earning assets as customers refinanced to lower mortgage rates and new loans and asset purchases were at the current low market interest rates. Hudson City Bancorp Swings to Loss
- It takes into consideration those factors which we deem relevant, and relates their significances.
- The authority of the father was absolute, as the head of a hierarchy arranged by generation, age and sex, in which every member of the extended family was related in rank to every other.
- We believe that this directly relates to reality programming that has been instilled in our race since its conception.
- Thelma has several drug-related convictions and is awaiting trial on a charge of violent disorder.
- Modern processors have a special hardware facility, the Performance Monitor Unit (PMU), to collect the events related with the operations in the processor.