- a pitched battle in World War II (1942) resulting in a decisive Allied victory by British troops under Montgomery over German troops under Rommel
- a village to the west of Alexandria on the northern coast of Egypt; the scene of a decisive Allied victory over the Germans in 1942
How To Use El Alamein In A Sentence
- Montgomery's victory over Rommel at El Alamein early in November came as a vast relief, and reconsolidated Churchill's position as war leader.
- I was posted in the Middle East to join the 5th Indian Division at El Alamein.
- The catafalque party stood vigil without spectators to honour those who fell during the battle for El Alamein and the airmen and sailors who lie where they fell with no marker.
- He visualized the map of the El Alamein Line, where the Allies would make their last stand, This was one line Rommel could not circumvent, for at its southern end was the vast impassable Qattara Depression. The Key to Rebecca
- He was injured during both of the battles at El Alamein and he was never decorated for bravery in continuing to carry out his job.
- The hikoi coincided with the 59th anniversary of the second battle of El Alamein.