live from day to day, as with some hardship
He eked out his years in great poverty
obtain with difficulty
He eked out some information from the archives
supplement what is thought to be deficient
He eked out his meager pay by giving private lessons
Braque eked out his collages with charcoal
make by laborious and precarious means
He eked out a living as a painter
How To Use eke out In A Sentence
- To eke out a full-time living from their honeybees, about half the nation's 2,000 commercial beekeepers pull up stakes each spring.
- Whether you're planning to flash your Florins in the salsa bars of Aruba, bum around the Andes on your Bolivianos, or simply eke out your Euros on the French Riviera, chances are you'll be needing some holiday money in the coming months.
- They had to eke out a living on a tiny income.
- Fund manager Perpetual said it is willing to share limited financial information with private-equity group KKR to perhaps eke out a higher bid. What's News
- With Jersey Shore, MTV decided to do its own line as a way to eke out more revenue from the thriving franchise. Ghosts Aren't Nearly as Frightening as These Characters
- Families eke out an existence in tiny shelters made from rubbish or threadbare canvas sheets. The Sun
- He said three types of life forms are found in permafrost: active ones that eke out a living, forms in suspended anabiosis until things get better, and the ones that simply gave up and died.
- Most Asian markets also slipped, although a weaker yen helped Tokyo eke out a gain. What's News
- Nets brim over with dead fish, blemishing the view of a vast reservoir in China's eastern province of Jiangsu where hundreds of peasants already struggle to eke out a living.
- Early in his reign the king was exiled and forced to eke out an existence wandering the land.