[ UK /ɪfˈɛktʃuːəli/ ]
in an effectual manner
Bismarck was constantly criticised by the more liberal newspapers, and he retaliated by passing an emergency decree that effectually muzzled the press
How To Use effectually In A Sentence
- Persons must indeed be of very uncleanly habits, whose heads absolutely require the aid of this comb, as the brush alone sufficiently possesses the power of effectually cleaning the hair from scurf, dandriff, and dust, if constantly used. The Ladies' Vase Polite Manual for Young Ladies
- She kept on struggling to loose herself, groping ineffectually at the deadfall that had entrapped her. SLEEP WHILE I SING
- It is hardly possible to conceive a spot more effectually hidden from the eyes of all men, than this singular valley.
- Jules Galdea explained to us that these revolving fan-like wheels on top of the cars destroyed atmospheric pressure, or what is generally understood by the term gravitation, and with this force thus destroyed or rendered nugatory the car is as safe from falling to one side or the other from the single rail track as if it were in a vacuum; the fly wheels in their rapid revolutions destroying effectually the so-called power of gravitation, or the force of atmospheric pressure or whatever potent influence it may be that causes all unsupported things to fall downward to the earth's surface or to the nearest point of resistance. The Smoky God, or: A Voyage to the Inner World
- It is saying that the Holy Spirit will speak clearly to you through the Scriptures, beginning when you are effectually called.
- Cattle are yoked for and the yoke is essential that they may labor effectually.
- The fact that they were under the charge of the nurse effectually did away with all possibility of fraud.
- In order to describe epistemic modality in Japanese effectually, this paper proposes the cognitive - psychological analytic model.
- There was an air of gravity and importance about the garb of this person, and something indescribably odd, I might say awful, in the perfect, stone-like movelessness of the figure, that effectually checked the testy comment which had at once risen to the lips of the irritated artist. The Purcell Papers
- Let not the time allotted be so short as to be unmeet for the going through with the duty effectually. Sacramental Discourses