[ UK /ˈɛdʒwaɪz/ ]
[ US /ˈɛdʒˌwaɪz/ ]
[ US /ˈɛdʒˌwaɪz/ ]
with the edge forward or on, by, or toward the edge
he sawed the board edgeways
held it edgewise
as if by an edge; barely
I could not get a word in edgewise
How To Use edgewise In A Sentence
- For two days after Lizzie's arrival in camp, she refused to speak or eat; for the next two days she ate everything she could lay her hands on, but still kept an unbroken silence; and for another two days, whenever she was not eating, she "yabbered" so much and so fast that the other gins looked on aghast, unable to get a word in edgewise, so continuous was the flow of Hinchinbrook vituperation. Australian Search Party
- (I only listen, because most of them refuse to let me get a word in edgewise) … tend to be concerned only with themselves. Think Progress » ThinkFast: February 1, 2010
- At our family dinner table, it was difficult to get in a word edgewise. Sleepwalk With Me
- Jermaine got a few words in edgewise, but Baby Michael dominated. There will never be another (Jack Bog's Blog)
- As soon as he could get a word in edgewise, he roared right back. SOMETHING IN THE WATER
- I didn't want to appear surly, but a word had to be honed mighty thin to slip in edgewise, so I concentrated on the tea, cucumber sandwiches, and seedcake, suppressing wistful thoughts about a pub. Operation Luna
- It involves digging and pickax work, as well as delicate handiwork, like carefully splitting open shales edgewise to reveal the fossils that have been trapped between the pages of rocks pasted together.
- He has, ever since, been there, peeping in at me in my torment; revealing to me by snatches, in the pale lights and slatey shadows where he comes and goes, bare-headed — a bill-hook, standing edgewise in his hair. The Lazy Tour of Two Idle Apprentices
- She was so adamant on showing me how to use this loofah that I couldn't get a word in edgewise to tell her I wasn't interested in loofahs at all.
- When you look up into the heavens with a telescope, you see many nebulae whelloch are like, or approximately like, the perfectly balanced spiral nebula whelloch you see edgewise in Fig. 23.