[ US /ˈeɪdəɫˌvaɪs/ ]
[ UK /ˈɛdɪlwˌeɪs/ ]
[ UK /ˈɛdɪlwˌeɪs/ ]
- alpine perennial plant native to Europe having leaves covered with whitish down and small flower heads held in stars of glistening whitish bracts
How To Use edelweiss In A Sentence
- Some characteristic endemics exclusive to the Park such as Caňadas rockrose Helianthemum juliae, Teide edelweiss Gnaphalium teydeum or the thistle Stemmacantha cynaroides number only 200 specimens; of others, like the endemic Teide burnet Bencomia exstipulata, there are barely 60 specimens - almost 75% of the natural specimens of this species grow on the summits of Tenerife and La Palma. Teide National Park, Spain
- The species endemic to the mountain include its two most representative species, sticky broom Adenocarpus viscosus and the widespread Teide white broom Spartocytisus supranubius, also Teide violet Viola cheiranthifolia which grows up to the summit, Teide edelweiss Gnaphalium teydeum, dwarf bugloss Echium auberianum, the thistle Stemmacantha cynaroides and the Teide catmint Nepeta teydia var. albiflora. Teide National Park, Spain
- Meadows consist mainly of Kobresia (K. pygmaea and K. humilis) and Carex atrata sedge, often associated with forbs such as knotweed (Polygonum sphaerostachyum), meadow rue (Thalictrum alpinum), everlasting (Anaphalis xylorrhiza), edelweiss (Leontopodium pusillum), blue poppy (Meconopsis horridula), Potentilla spp., Tibetan Plateau alpine shrub and meadows
- Think how a real rockface looks, with little crevices in which even the elusive edelweiss might survive. Times, Sunday Times
- For some time now, Edelweiss has been looking for a larger footprint in retail broking, which is the forte of Anagram, a part of the Rs2,000 crore textiles major Arvind Lalbhai group. Daily News & Analysis
- The area is also home to many beech forests and at higher altitudes there are even alpine roses and edelweiss.
- Green People, a company that specialises in natural bodycare products, has formulated a sun protection range that includes edelweiss, a plant that grows at such high altitudes that it has its own built-in SPF (sun protection factor).
- We found rare edelweiss by the path and picnicked on a grassy shelf, imagining free climbers, like spiders on the soaring pinnacles around us, mocking our apprehensions.
- There's a sprig of edelweiss, and a little square of fabric to hold up when the inspiration strikes Maria to make the children new clothes from the curtains.
- Large carnivores, it turned out, were attracting people who wouldn't come just for the edelweiss and primrose.