finish eating all the food on one's plate or on the table
She polished off the remaining potatoes
enclose or envelop completely, as if by swallowing
The huge waves swallowed the small boat and it sank shortly thereafter
use up (resources or materials)
They run through 20 bottles of wine a week
this car consumes a lot of gas
We exhausted our savings
How To Use eat up In A Sentence
- I just know that one beer bash was fine, two was tolerable, and the third was just a way to eat up time on Memorial Day.
- Conventional boilers heat up a store of water using a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard and a header tank somewhere high - usually the loft.
- And even in their efforts to upraise the social revolution -- the great upheaval to which all A Girl Among the Anarchists
- He gave me an once-over, slowly letting his gaze survey me up and down, and I felt my cheeks heat up, regretting my stupid retort.
- Do you want me to heat up some corned beef?
- A great upfold of fat is piled up against the back of his skull and a single gold bracelet is looped around his right wrist. Memory Wall
- Then we built our fire in the outdoor fireplace to boil potatoes and heat up red beans for supper.
- These are (1) the production in the blood of an antidote to the toxin or poison elaborated by the invading microbe -- an antitoxin, which chemically neutralises the toxin; (2) the production in the blood of the attacked animal of a "germicidal" poison which repels and kills the attacking microbes themselves (not merely neutralising their poisonous products); (3) the extermination of the intrusive, disease-producing microbes by a kind of police, which scour the blood channels and tissues and "eat up" -- actually engulf and digest -- the hostile intruders. More Science From an Easy Chair
- Shall I heat up some soup for lunch?
- As a natural response to a diseased heart, the body releases the hormone norepinephrine, causing the heart to beat up to five times faster than normal.