[ US /ˈɝnəstɫi/ ]
[ UK /ˈɜːnəstli/ ]
[ UK /ˈɜːnəstli/ ]
in a serious manner
she started studying snakes in earnest
talking earnestly with his son
a play dealing seriously with the question of divorce
How To Use earnestly In A Sentence
- We may earnestly believe that they're wrong - whether they're non-Christians, heretics, apostates, agnostics, atheists, or what have you.
- My hair was matted and wild -- my limbs soiled with salt ooze; while at sea, I had thrown off those of my garments that encumbered me, and the rain drenched the thin summer-clothing I had retained -- my feet were bare, and the stunted reeds and broken shells made them bleed -- the while, I hurried to and fro, now looking earnestly on some distant rock which, islanded in the sands, bore for a moment a deceptive appearance -- now with flashing eyes reproaching the murderous ocean for its unutterable cruelty. III.9
- She speaks earnestly, thoughtfully and funnily about how we are all ‘differently abled ‘in one way or another.’
- Agrippa, and the rest of his weeping friends earnestly besought him, osculantes obsecrarent ne id quod natura cogeret, ipse acceleraret, not to offer violence to himself, with a settled resolution he desired again they would approve of his good intent, and not seek to dehort him from it: and so constantly died, precesque eorum taciturna sua obstinatione depressit. Anatomy of Melancholy
- Now the woman's voice came to them calling earnestly, "Sahib, sahib, sahib!" she cried. Jack Haydon's Quest
- I have as little superstition in me as any man living, but my secret opinion has ever been, and still is, that God Almighty will not give up a people to military destruction, or leave them unsupportedly to perish, who have so earnestly and so repeatedly sought to avoid the calamities of war, by every decent method which wisdom could invent. First Open Thread-- What's on your mind? Log in and add your comments
- The constant barrage of earnestly delivered silliness should win over even the hardest hearts.
- To love someone in secret is like a seed in bottle waiting for growing up, though not sure whether the future will be more beautiful, still waiting it earnestly and eagerly.
- Mrs. Honoria leaned her two round arms on the mezzanine rail, and looked long and earnestly down upon the caucussing lobby throng. The Honorable Senator Sage-Brush
- She warned me earnestly, however, not to "worrit" the girl by asking her all sorts of questions. ' Aylwin