- English statesman; during the War of the Roses he fought first for the house of York and secured the throne for Edward IV and then changed sides to fight for the house of Lancaster and secured the throne for Henry VI (1428-1471)
How To Use Earl of Warwick In A Sentence
- The Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Bourchier, apparently had charge of the boys for a time, but Richard was later entrusted to the Earl of Warwick, whose lavish household was said to support 20,000 retainers.
- After the execution of her brother the earl of Warwick in 1499, she was sole heiress to the dukedom of Clarence and the earldoms of Salisbury and of Warwick, and was granted the title countess of Salisbury in 1513.
- He had a son, the Earl of Warwick, who didn't inherit the dukedom because of the attainder, and was himself later found guilty of treason and executed under Henry VII.
- the Earl of Warwick was the first kingmaker
- It is not probable that Turchil, the last Saxon Earl of Warwick, bore anything that might be strictly called armorial bearings. Shakespeare's Family
- However, his captors were forsworn when he was taken by the Earl of Warwick a month later, while housed at the village of Deddington on his way south.
- Whether this interesting relic is still at Warwick Castle or not, I cannot pretend to say, as I was unfortunately prevented joining the British Archæological Association at the Warwick congress in 1847, and have never visited that part of the country; but the bascinet which was there in Grose's time was at least of the date of Guido de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, the builder of Guy's Notes and Queries, Number 46, September 14, 1850