- British general and statesman; he defeated Napoleon at Waterloo; subsequently served as Prime Minister (1769-1852)
How To Use Duke of Wellington In A Sentence
- In the early 19th century the dapper first Duke of Wellington commissioned a low-heeled calf boot of soft leather.
- The original owner of the house was the Duke of Wellington.
- Former members of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment Jack, 85, and 87-year-old Donald were garrisoned in Iceland and struck up a friendship that has lasted a lifetime.
- I have been commanded to strike two Medals at the Royal Mint in commemoration of the battles of Les Quatre Bras and Waterloo; One, in gold, of the largest size, to embrace the exploits of the allied army under the Duke of Wellington the Prince of Orange and the Duke of Brunswick, and of the Prussian Army under Field Marshal Blucher. Waterloo Medal by Benedetto Pistrucci : Coin Collecting News
- During the Second World War troops of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment were billeted in the hall.
- In an artful piece of grand-ham acting, he plays the stately lecher Sir Harcourt Courtley as a cross between a demon king, a pantomime dame and the Duke of Wellington.
- He enjoyed wars and was the first prime minister since the duke of Wellington to have fought in battle.
- Lord Fitzroy Somerset, eighth son of the duke of Beaufort, was appointed aide-de-camp to Lieutenant-General Sir Arthur Wellesley, the future duke of Wellington, in 1808.
- This was the band of the 6th Battalion of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment, the local Territorial unit which drew its recruits from the Keighley, Skipton and Bingley area, at the time of its post-war revival in 1924.
- The Duke of Wellington is remembered for his victory at Waterloo, his historic status commemorated in the names of innumerable local boozers.