force to go away; used both with concrete and metaphoric meanings
drive away bad thoughts
The supermarket had to turn back many disappointed customers
Drive away potential burglars
How To Use drive off In A Sentence
- In return, I was treated with enough respect to get me through, if we forget the incident at Point 6 when I was left alone with 20 pissed up protesters “by mistake” (for a few seconds) as the van revved up and pretended to drive off amid much hilarity from the team! Back To The Shire At Last « POLICE INSPECTOR BLOG
- Then we drive off to a friend's house-warming party.
- We keep dogs in the yard to drive off intruders.
- These days they dig whole slabs of marble or granite out of the ground and drive off with them in the back of a van. Times, Sunday Times
- This antitoxine neutralizes the effects of the diphtheria toxine, and then the body develops strength to drive off the bacteria which have obtained lodgment in the throat. The Story of Germ Life
- The word curricle made Charles Musgrove jump up that he might compare it with his own; the servant in mourning roused Anne's curiosity, and the whole six were collected to look, by the time the owner of the curricle was to be seen issuing from the door amidst the bows and civilities of the household, and taking his seat, to drive off. Persuasion
- They had to use tear gas to drive off the rioters.
- I drive off, and warm instantly to the strong, even accelerative force; this is as smooth and muscular as the best four-cylinder turbodiesels apart from Honda's, and rather creamier than the Mondeo version.
- The bow doors would open, allowing the cargo of tanks, armoured cars, bulldozers or lorries to drive off, and the LST would then wait for the flood tide to float it off again.
- Heating oil shale to a sufficiently high temperature will drive off a vapor which processing can distill (retort) to yield a petroleum-like shale oil-a form of non-conventional oil-and combustible shale gas (the term shale gas can also refer to gas occurring naturally in shales). WN.com - Articles related to Reliance Industries to push into power and telecom