an indicator of stock market prices; based on the share values of 30 blue-chip stocks listed on the New York Stock Exchange
the Dow Jones Industrial Average is the most widely cited indicator of how the stock market is doing
How To Use Dow Jones In A Sentence
- The Dow Jones industrial average is down 5 points at 2,913.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average added 25 points, or 0.3%, to 10972 in midday trading, while the Standard & Poor's 500-stock index advanced less than one point to 1162 and the Nasdaq Composite lost 9 points to 2391. GE, Alcoa Lead DJIA Higher
- The worst postwar bear market struck in 1973-1974, a Dow Jones plunge of 45 percent.
- While the SPX, Dow Jones Industrial Average, and Nasdaq Composite COMP remain near intermediate-term oversold levels, the shorter term is now becoming a bit overbought, as investors surge from the sidelines to place their bets ahead of Tuesday's interest rate decision. No Fear Of The Fed
- Share prices of the Dow Jones industrial average fell Friday by 55 points after an early plunge of 145 points.
- The new motorcycle is being developed as part of Bajaj Auto's plan to expand its offerings in the entry-level segment, executives at two auto parts suppliers, who declined to be named, told Dow Jones Newswires recently. Bajaj Auto Developing New Motorcycle
- The Dow Jones industrials fell 87 points, the Nasdaq dropped 19.
- After a grueling stretch in the past week where the Dow Jones Industrial Average seesawed between triple-digit gains and losses, only one of the 10 initial public offerings that had been scheduled to debut actually made it out. IPO Market Is Ready For a Break
- Dow Jones's Steve McGrath explains how this high-profile marque has moved one-step closer to the automobile scrapheap. Saab Automobile, 1950-2011
- Sharpe calculated a benchmark ratio using the Dow Jones Industrial Average as a proxy for the market portfolio.