[ US /ˈdɑməˌneɪt/ ]
[ UK /dˈɒmɪnˌeɪt/ ]
[ UK /dˈɒmɪnˌeɪt/ ]
be greater in significance than
the tragedy overshadowed the couple's happiness
be larger in number, quantity, power, status or importance
Money reigns supreme here
Hispanics predominate in this neighborhood
be in control
Her husband completely dominates her
look down on
The villa dominates the town
have dominance or the power to defeat over
The methods can master the problems
Her pain completely mastered her
How To Use dominate In A Sentence
- How, then, can we force a change in the media systems that dominate the discourse and misinform the debate?
- A number of the predominately male workforce have twenty-four years service with the company.
- On paper, we're a one-person-one-vote nation; in reality, we're more than a bit of an oligarchy, in which a handful of wealthy people dominate.
- Tribal traditions and a male-dominated reading of Islam have produced a deeply rooted ideology of women as temptresses, who must be kept under control to avoid "fitna" or social strife, thereby safeguarding the "peace of Islam. Ida Lichter, M.D.: Afghan Women's Movements Deserve More From the West
- Last week I lamented the lack of tries in our now defence-dominated game, what with the accent on specialist prevention coaching.
- Spain dominated possession in the opening minutes and looked to have the measure of an uncertain Dutch backline. BBC News | News Front Page | World Edition
- Most soils are dominated by quartz sand, and are acidic, xeric, and have a very limited nutrient supply; they are coarser, drier, less fertile, and less suited to agriculture than the mesic soils of Ecoregion 84d. Ecoregions of New Jersey (EPA)
- The skilled trades were dominated by craft guilds which imposed strict limitations on entry in order to guarantee their market.
- I live in a part of the country which is almost completely dominated by the bibliolatrous mindset.
- In this agent-dominated world, brands will be quickly disassociated with visual trademarks, since people will rarely see them.