[ UK /dˈəʊm/ ]
[ US /ˈdoʊm/ ]
[ US /ˈdoʊm/ ]
- a concave shape whose distinguishing characteristic is that the concavity faces downward
- a hemispherical roof
- informal terms for a human head
- a stadium that has a roof
How To Use dome In A Sentence
- Architecturally they incorporate the low roofs, polygonal towers and shallow, semicircular domes of the Byzantine mode.
- Interior spaces may also be gendered: the author explores both the activities particular to women, such as needlework or lace-making, and the objects related to female and maternal domesticity.
- One page of the menu is devoted to cheeses (domestic and imported), another to charcuterie, salads, meat and fish, the third to items from the wood-burning oven.
- Among these are the best specimen of the dome-skulled chalicothere Tylocephalonyx skinneri, and type specimens of several other mammals, including rodents, oreodonts and carnivores.
- More volunteers follow with lurid tales of domestic mishaps, each earning applause. Times, Sunday Times
- As for the problem…one wonders if the africanized honeybee is having similar problems or if it is limited to the “domesticated” variety. Bees still alive and buzzing | The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
- I was haunted by the beauty of the landscape all about, of the natural ferneries then disappearing, and of the domed forest-trees on the slopes, and was fortunate in meeting a gentleman intent on preserving in art the beauties of his country. Sailing Alone Around the World
- Without these sagacities, the brickwork of the tambour, in addition to taking a very long time so that the concrete could dry up and solidify, would surely have been too heavy to support the dome.
- The snowy dome of Fujisan reddening in the sunrise rose above the violet woodlands of Mississippi Bay as we steamed out of Yokohama Harbour on the 19th, and three days later I saw the last of Japan — a rugged coast, lashed by a wintry sea. Unbeaten Tracks in Japan
- The long punishing jaws of a borzoi can snatch up small and not-so-small varmints both wild or domestic with lightning speed.