[ UK /dˈɒdʒ/ ]
[ US /ˈdɑdʒ/ ]
[ US /ˈdɑdʒ/ ]
- a statement that evades the question by cleverness or trickery
an elaborate or deceitful scheme contrived to deceive or evade
his testimony was just a contrivance to throw us off the track
- a quick evasive movement
move to and fro or from place to place usually in an irregular course
the pickpocket dodged through the crowd
make a sudden movement in a new direction so as to avoid
The child dodged the teacher's blow
avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues)
They tend to evade their responsibilities
he evaded the questions skillfully
He dodged the issue
she skirted the problem
How To Use dodge In A Sentence
- When the tax credit was in place, a person could buy a house for $8,000 down (the bluebook value of a 2005 Dodge Caravan). Tom Silva: Why Should We Care About Housing?
- Regin downshifted, tires squealing as she swerved to dodge a roadkill-bound possum. Dreams of a Dark Warrior
- Instead of seeing dodgeball as a game where alpha males can relive their schoolyard dominance, they see it as a game for everyone.
- Young people from welfare-dependent single-parent families just aren't artful dodgers ready to graduate into serious crime and a moral vacuum.
- Bell was also a sycophant, a Yes man, who could shift his political stance in a heartbeat, talk in circles and dodge any important decision making.
- The car pitched and dodged through the turns.
- The road itself twisted and contorted as much as the river as it dodged through and around clusters of trees and boulders: indigenous and erratics.
- I've traveled by modem vehicle from south Texas to the Kansas cow town of Dodge City.
- Last night, she again dodged a question about Social Security solvency and began a canard about tax cuts instead. Sound Politics: Post Debate and Beyond
- His Australian hosts piled on more pressure yesterday, saying that sweetheart deals that allowed corporations to dodge tax in countries where they made profits amounted to theft. Times, Sunday Times