[ UK /dɪskwɪsˈɪʃən/ ]
- an elaborate analytical or explanatory essay or discussion
How To Use disquisition In A Sentence
- Agamemnon cannot restrain himself and even bursts into verse in the course of this disquisition on the decadence of oratory: artis severae si quis ambit effectus mentemque magnis applicat, prius mores frugalitatis lege poliat exacta. nec curet alto regiam trucem vultu cliensve cenas impotentium captet nec perditis addictus obruat vino mentis calorem, neve plausor in scaenam sedeat redemptus histrionis ad rictus. sed sive armigerae rident Tritonidis arces, seu Lacedaemonio tellus habitata colono Post-Augustan Poetry From Seneca to Juvenal
- _ When we adhere to one point, whatever the form, it should rather be called a disquisition than a conversation. Imaginary Conversations and Poems A Selection
- The word disquisition has appeared in 15 New York Times articles in the past year, including on June 12 in the essay The Ahab Parallax: 'Moby NYT > Home Page
- Later, as part of a rambling disquisition, which is allowed because, under the Commissions 'rules, he is permitted to represent himself, Mohammed addressed the desire for martyrdom that has also been prominent in previous hearings. Andy Worthington: Chaos and Lies: Why Obama Was Right To Halt The Guantanamo Trials
- Though a long poem, the book is interlarded with mixed genre elements, including a few treatises one on dung, another on literary narcissism and several essays, including little disquisitions on vipassana meditation, Whitman, C. S. Peirce, and Nancy Reagan. The Best American Poetry 2010
- Really Robertson was undertaking a teacherly disquisition on the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Matthew Yglesias » Did Haiti Form a Pact With the Devil?
- Humfrey, in his "Peaceable Disquisitions," having animadverted on the spirit in which Clagett had dealt with Owen, Clagett published another volume, and promised a third on the opinions of the Fathers respecting the points at issue. Pneumatologia
- Sparely and tautly written, this brilliant memoir of a daughter's longing for an elusive mother is a gripping read, but also something much more: a powerful disquisition on family life, full of hurts and love.
- Sweetly reasonable but utterly firm, and that tone characterizes her entire disquisition. RIDDLE ME THIS
- Others are more substantial, including a long disquisition in Spanish addressed to President Fox and attached to a house on the highway.