[ US /ˈdɪsɫoʊkeɪt/ ]
[ UK /dɪsləʊkˈeɪt/ ]
[ UK /dɪsləʊkˈeɪt/ ]
move out of position
the artificial hip joint luxated and had to be put back surgically
put out of its usual place, position, or relationship
The colonists displaced the natives
How To Use dislocate In A Sentence
- A dislocated wrist, unsuccessfuily set, occasioned advice from my surgeon, to try the mineral waters of Aix, in Provence, as a corroborant. Autobiography
- And yet while teachers' strikes may have been popular with chatterers and some politicians, the iridescence has caused untold suffering among pupils whose school calendar has been dislocated.
- To date, more than 20 specimens of D. australis have been collected at this locality, all within galleries and with dislocated plastrons.
- You know, the kind of cat-walk where you're constantly worried she might dislocate her hip joints.
- To the insatiable bloody appetite of this creature nothing comes amiss; he takes the male ostrich by surprise, and slays that wariest of wild things on his nest; He captures little birds with the dexterity of a cat, and hunts for diurnal armadillos; he comes unawares upon the deer and huanaco, and, springing like lightning on them, dislocates their necks before their bodies touch the earth. The Naturalist in La Plata
- We turned to the left, and marched along its edge in search of a "pont"; but matters became gradually worse; other crevasses joined on to the first one, and the further we proceeded the more riven and dislocated the ice became. Seeing Europe with Famous Authors, Volume 6 Germany, Austria-Hungary and Switzerland, part 2
- Others have been dislocated from work, escaped from an abusive relationship or just have low self-esteem, which is where Mr. Ramchandani comes in. New Suits for New Starts
- The glenohumeral joint is one of the most commonly dislocated joints.
- Kay had dislocated her left kneecap in her semi - final match of the round robin tournament.
- While the player has not suffered a dislocated shoulder or broken collar bone, he is in severe pain with apparent ligament damage and is unable to lift his arm which has been kept in a sling and strapping over the weekend.