- a locomotive driven by the electric current generated by a diesel engine
How To Use diesel-electric locomotive In A Sentence
- Even though by 1960 the old steam locomotives were abandoned for the much more efficient diesel-electric locomotives, the tide could not be turned.
- Further discussions with British Rail top management led to the suggestion that the company should purchase their own fleet of diesel-electric locomotives, able to conform with company's requirements for power and reliability.
- Although concentrated ore continued to be transported to the Anaconda smelter until 1980, the line was converted for use by diesel-electric locomotives in 1967.
- Canadian National Railway freight cars, powered by an GE AC4400CW diesel-electric locomotive, heading west through Lake Louise Station in Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada.
- Ford and GM were global manufacturing powers prior to the Interstate system and GM was THE diesel-electric locomotive manufacturer for 40 years. blackadder @ 29: Matthew Yglesias » Mass Transit is As American as Apple Pie
- Steam remained the unchallenged source of power for railroads until 1925, when the Central Railroad of New Jersey introduced the first diesel-electric locomotive.
- More recently, diesel-electric locomotives and many of the monster trucks used in mining have made the transition to electric drive trains.
- But now it's your cue to say there's an accountant with a speech impediment on the other side of the room with whom you are eager to discuss the history of diesel-electric locomotives on the former British Railways Western Region.
- The company has acquired new rolling stock like Chinese diesel-electric locomotives and fuel tankers.
- You could hear the great diesel-electric locomotive miles away, just as you could hear its steam-powered predecessor clattering through the lowlands of the Hills of Clare.