- heating a solid substance in a closed container and collecting the volatile products
How To Use destructive distillation In A Sentence
- Large deposits of frothy reddish-brown pyrolignic acid, or “wood vinegar,” as the men called it, had also been found, indicating, as Roebling said, “that a destructive distillation of wood had been going on.” The Great Bridge
- He considers the roasting of coffee as a destructive distillation process, summarizing the results, briefly, as the production of furfuraldehyde from the carbohydrates, acrolein from the fats, catechol and pyrogallol from the tannins, and ammonia, amins, and pyrrols from the proteins. All About Coffee
- A black, porous, carbonaceous material, 85 to 98 percent carbon, produced by the destructive distillation of wood and used as a fuel, filter, and absorbent.
- The destructive distillation of wood to give methanol is the root of its common name - wood alcohol.
- · Tar is the thick black substance produced by the destructive distillation (or carbonisation) of organic matter, such as wood or coal. Chapter 4