[ UK /dɪzˈɜːvɪŋ/ ]
[ US /dɪˈzɝvɪŋ/ ]
[ US /dɪˈzɝvɪŋ/ ]
(often used ironically) worthy of being treated in a particular way
a deserving cause
the deserving poor
an idea worth considering
How To Use deserving In A Sentence
- In the case of marriage, calling SSM discriminatory or segregationist represents either a failure to adequately recognise the sexuality of the individual involved or more perniciously to regard that distinction as immaterial or undeserving of respect. Why are only queer rights on the chopping block?
- I knew that keeping Jasper amused, making him happy, and keeping myself deserving of him, was my one achievement.
- Much as I would love to be wrong I fear there is as much chance of this happening as there was of the Soviet hack-writer Sholokhov giving his Nobel Prize for Literature to some more deserving writer - one who had not only suffered in the Soviet gulag but whose works were actually worth reading. On Thursday, the Legg report will be published along with...
- Landscape, on the other hand, illustrated nothing, represented no important event deserving of record, and was thus totally without significance in a Grecian temple or pinacotheca. Museum of Antiquity A Description of Ancient Life
- Which are deserving and important welfare issues or just the easiest to pick on and likely to placate a few voters?
- This is a cause deserving of international assistance. Times, Sunday Times
- My view is that before anyone opens their big bazoo and starts yawping on about Megrahi deserving death etc, they should actually read if they can read up on the factual foundations of the case. The Case Of The Dying Bomber: Megrahi and Lockerbie « INTERSTELLAR TACTICS
- The reason for my being unspecific in the "cloud of witnesses" finale was that I felt by this point my reader should have been brought to the point where he or she could become a co-imaginer with me, filling in more than is on the page, and deserving of having his or her name in the credits that roll at the end of the film. Ingrid Hill - An interview with author
- Fully deserving of every syllable of praise it has received, this album should gain a very healthy cult following. - Mike Hogan
- The fund aims to provide financial assistance to deserving but cash-strapped students, willing to pursue tertiary education in the fields of science and technology.