[ US /dɪˈpɑɹtmənt/ ]
[ UK /dɪpˈɑːtmənt/ ]
[ UK /dɪpˈɑːtmənt/ ]
- the territorial and administrative division of some countries (such as France)
a specialized sphere of knowledge
his work established a new department of literature
baking is not my department
a specialized division of a large organization
you'll find it in the hardware department
she got a job in the historical section of the Treasury
How To Use department In A Sentence
- The "lawmen" in the Justice Department, etc, who are doing the hard work to bring these Wall Street criminals to the courthouse will be compromised. Stephen Gyllenhaal: Goldman and Sachs and Lipstick and Rouge
- Spanish-American War of 1898 Edison suggested to the Navy Department the adoption of a compound of calcium carbide and calcium phosphite, which when placed in a shell and fired from a gun would explode as soon as it struck water and ignite, producing a blaze that would continue several minutes and make the ships of the enemy visible for four or five miles at sea. Edison, His Life and Inventions
- Mr Smith said the department's own funds, which have bankrolled major improvements in the naval service, had been well tapped and it was now time to explore new ways of funding.
- The State Department contacted American embassies around the world to make sure that they repeated the line that it was an aberration and not in line with American ‘values.’
- The answer would be significantly different to the one given in response to the Department's loaded question.
- Nilufer Bharucha, faculty in the department of English and project coordinator, explained that the term diaspora means to be scattered or dispersed across national boundaries, and has been self-consciously used today by postcolonial theorists to describe those who got displaced from their home owing to colonial politics and post-colonial economic realities. Analysis
- ‘I only wish farmers could be fully compensated for the incompetence, inefficiency and neglect of the Department over which Mrs Beckett presides,’ he said.
- The youth he rescued, known only as a Mr Thorpe, was treated in the casualty department at Middlesbrough General.
- And since the Department of Public Prosecutions are so hot on prosecuting hatred and bigotry, let me point out an example to them.
- Work with customer service department to improve customer satisfaction.