[ US /dɪˈfɫɛkʃən/ ]
[ UK /dɪflˈɛkʃən/ ]
[ UK /dɪflˈɛkʃən/ ]
- the property of being bent or deflected
- the movement of the pointer or pen of a measuring instrument from its zero position
- the amount by which a propagating wave is bent
- a twist or aberration; especially a perverse or abnormal way of judging or acting
a turning aside (of your course or attention or concern)
a digression into irrelevant details
a diversion from the main highway
a deflection from his goal
How To Use deflection In A Sentence
- Intellectual springs originally, and is increased subsequently, from teaching (for the most part that is), and needs therefore experience and time; whereas the Moral comes from custom, and so the Greek term denoting it is but a slight deflection from the term denoting custom in that language. Ethics
- The winners took the lead as early as the 7th minute with a powerful shot that took a deflection on its way to the net.
- The force which produces that molecular deflection, to which the magnetisation of the bar is immediately due, is the magnetising current flowing round the solenoid. Response in the Living and Non-Living
- Tom adjusted the thermograph potentiometer to zero deflection and checked the circuit once more. I, TOO, DREAM....
- A Phil Neville zinger takes a wicked deflection and Hildebrand scurries frantically across his goal-line to keep the ball out.
- Importantly, sound - and wind-sensitive Johnston's organ neurons exhibit different intrinsic response properties: the former are phasically activated by small, bi-directional, displacements of the aristae, whereas the latter are tonically activated by unidirectional, static deflections of larger magnitude. Naturejobs - All Jobs
- A rational decision mechanism can inspire information revelation and control deflection of policy from public interests.
- Suitable for skeletonless and special-shaped coils, and widely applied for special electric motor, electrical appliance, apparatus, color TV deflection coil and civil electrical appliance products.
- The right-foot shot from the Chile international was on target butwould not have troubled Foster had it not taken a deflection from theshoulder of United defender Rafael. Football.co.uk news feed
- He pushes them in sequence, checking and rechecking each step and feeling the change in the tail structure as the twin-boomed empennage begins to rise to a nearly eighty-degree upward deflection. Orbit