[ UK /dˈiːsənt/ ]
[ US /ˈdisənt/ ]
[ US /ˈdisənt/ ]
observing conventional sexual mores in speech or behavior or dress
though one of her shoulder straps had slipped down, she was perfectly decent by current standards
socially or conventionally correct; refined or virtuous
a nice girl
from a decent family
in harmony with the spirit of particular persons or occasion
a decent burial
We have come to dedicate a portion of that field...It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this
conforming to conventions of sexual behavior
speech in this circle, if not always decent, never became lewd
sufficiently clothed to see visitors or appear in public
are you decent?
I would kill for a decent cup of coffee
the step makes a satisfactory seat
a decent wage
in the right manner; correctly; suitably
please do your job properly!
can't you carry me decent?
How To Use decent In A Sentence
- Fred Wye seemed like a decent sort of cuss, Peter thought, too bad his brother wasn't more like him. SOMETHING IN THE WATER
- Hopefully, North Norfolk will soon shake off this surreal obsession with the Lib Dems and embrace their NE Cambs neighbour's decent Tory stance. Will Iain Dale have to repay the donations ?
- The major problem is punters here expect a diet of top-class football along with decent grub. The Sun
- Howell has also admitted indecent assault charges against three of his patients in April and July 2008 at his clinic in Ballymoney. Northern Ireland dentist admits double murder
- With most of Bradford's other income coming from mortgage broking, estate agency and property surveying, the decent yield really is at the mercy of house prices.
- The mystery of how to sell decent books consistently has eluded publishers and booksellers. Times, Sunday Times
- Before anyone says that this was going to happen anyway, remember that political pros were saying two years ago that Napolitano was a one term fluke, early this year Republicans were salivating about a possible 2/3 majority House and Senate, and it took some foresight to see that a decent candidate could be recruited to take out J. Archive 2006-12-01
- He made a decent record.
- Besides, it was getting late, and my decent harpooneer ought to be home and going bedwards. Moby Dick; or the Whale
- I thought I had a decent camera but obvs not.