- Dutch botanist who rediscovered Mendel's laws and developed the mutation theory of evolution (1848-1935)
How To Use De Vries In A Sentence
- His aptitude caught the attention of the director of the experimental garden Hugo de Vries who became his mentor and encouraged him to take some university courses on botany.
- It was the German keeper who spurned Hearts plenty last season, especially at Ibrox and it was earlier this year that a last-minute tackle from Lorenzo Amoruso prevented Mark de Vries from salvaging a draw and a point in Glasgow.
- One recipient was Jan De Vries, who was airdropped into Normandy before dawn on D-Day with the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion.
- Professor Kets de Vries says the world can neatly be divided into three distinct behavioural groups: sociopaths, psychopaths and what he calls ‘normopaths’, or excessively normal people.
- Daan de Vries is with Utz Certified, a program that tries to create a fair marketplace for agricultural products.
- With her surgeon's permission, she asked de Vries to help, augmenting her conventional treatment with complementary remedies.
- With his experimental "metafiction" - spoofing literary conventions, leaving sentences dangling, writing an entire novel ( "Gold Fools") in the form of questions - he seemed to place himself squarely in the postmodernist camp; but his ear for American, especially New York, speech, and his attention to the spirit of place and compassion for the average loser, all defined him as a kindred spirit of such great American humorists as Mark Twain and Peter De Vries. NYT > Home Page
- The event, which was organized by A/V mount company Vogel's, saw the six now-champion gamers, including brothers Edward and Maykel Leest from Boxmeer and Hengelo, Sven de Vries from Lelystad, Renzo Bos from Baarlo, Robbie van Eijkeren from Middelburg and Marcel van Marketnews Latest News
- Since the pangenes were lim - ited to the cell and corresponded one to one with particular hereditary characteristics, and since they were always represented in full measure in the nucleus, the conceptual model developed by de Vries was con - sonant with the principle of the isolation of the germ - plasm and the noninheritance of acquired charac - teristics. GENETIC CONTINUITY
- First we must, as de Vries has shown, distinguish real, genetic, variation from _fluctuational_ variations, due to environmental and other accidents, which cannot be transmitted. Evolution in Modern Thought