[ UK /dˈeɪ/ ]
[ US /ˈdeɪ/ ]
[ US /ˈdeɪ/ ]
- the time for one complete rotation of the earth relative to a particular star, about 4 minutes shorter than a mean solar day
the period of time taken by a particular planet (e.g. Mars) to make a complete rotation on its axis
how long is a day on Jupiter?
the recurring hours when you are not sleeping (especially those when you are working)
it was a busy day on the stock exchange
she called it a day and went to bed
my day began early this morning
an era of existence or influence
in the days of sailing ships
he was a successful pianist in his day
in the day of the dinosaurs
in the days of the Roman Empire
time for Earth to make a complete rotation on its axis
there are 30,000 passengers per day
they put on two performances every day
two days later they left
the time after sunrise and before sunset while it is light outside
it is easier to make the repairs in the daytime
the dawn turned night into day
a period of opportunity
he deserves his day in court
every dog has his day
a day assigned to a particular purpose or observance
some point or period in time
those were the days
after that day she never trusted him again
it should arrive any day now
these days it is not unusual
How To Use day In A Sentence
- When we see her, we remember that hot July day doing five knots pulling Jess and Jerry on a tube and Russ skippering his first yacht.
- Some were members of Turkey's elite military class known as "pashas," a title of respect harking back to Ottoman military commanders Monday for allegedly planning to blow up mosques in order to trigger a military takeover and overthrow the WN.com - Photown News
- Lobefins today have dwindled to the lungfishes and the coelacanths ‘dwindled’ as ‘fish’, that is, but mightily expanded on land: we land vertebrates are aberrant lungfish. THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH
- It got so bad that 12 patrolmen and two police dogs were kept on duty outside the home for several days.
- When the King heard this, he bade his son be slain; but on the next day the second Wazir came forward for intercession and kissed ground in prostration. The Book of The Thousand Nights And A Night
- Second, that the entire Reichstag assented to the declarations made by the speakers on Tuesday that the Emperor had exceeded his constitutional prerogatives in private discussion with foreigners concerning Germany's attitude on controverted questions. New York Times Current History: The European War from the Beginning to March 1915, Vol 1, No. 2 Who Began the War, and Why?
- But at lunch on the first day we were approached by the helpful Hotel Manager Henri and offered a swap to an overwater bungalow.
- We had engaged a very nice mare and stanhope, which we knew we could depend upon, when, the day before the race, the chestnut was declared lame, and not a presentable four-legged animal was to be hired in Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, Volume 59, No. 363, January, 1846
- I just know that one beer bash was fine, two was tolerable, and the third was just a way to eat up time on Memorial Day.
- As the holiday movie season winds down, we thought we'd preview the films of 2003 to see which ones stand out and which should stand down.