- English actor and theater manager who was the foremost Shakespearean actor of his day (1717-1779)
How To Use David Garrick In A Sentence
- This was sent to David Garrick, an influential arbiter of polite literary taste in London.
- This year his old pupil and friend, David Garrick, having become joint patentee and manager of Drury-lane theatre, Johnson honoured his opening of it with a Prologue, which for just and manly dramatick criticism, on the whole range of the English stage, as well as for poetical excellence, is unrivalled. The Life of Samuel Johnson LL.D.
- Similar advertisements are prefixed to plays by David Garrick, Isaac Bickerstaffe, Hannah More, Elizabeth Griffith, Elizabeth Inchbald, Frederick Reynolds, and many others.
- Macklin's championing of realistic delivery in place of a declamatory manner greatly influenced contemporaries, notably David Garrick.
- Thespis, a satirical poem on the actors at Drury Lane, earned him the favour of David Garrick, whom he adulated.