a group's refusal to obey a law because they believe the law is immoral (as in protest against discrimination)
Thoreau wrote a famous essay justifying civil disobedience
How To Use civil disobedience In A Sentence
- Certainly there have been powerful nonviolent movements in which strikes, work stoppages, non-cooperation, and massive civil disobedience have been effective without any religious or moral reference.
- Break them and await arrest in willful, principled civil disobedience. The Volokh Conspiracy » The Rhetoric of Opposition
- Stop playing the poor downtrodden man and begin a campaign of civil disobedience. Times, Sunday Times
- If, as promised, they throng through the streets of London when the ban comes into force in February, any civil disobedience will only harden the attitudes of the liberal townies whose routines they will be disrupting.
- Encouraged by calls from former Vice President Al Gore and leading climate scientist James Hansen for civil disobedience to stop the construction of coal-fired power plants, thousands of individuals from across the United States converged on Washington, DC, on March 2, 2009, to protest the coal-burning Capitol Power Plant and to urge Congress to pass legislation to reduce carbon emissions. Earth Policy Institute: The End of an Era — Closing the Door on Building New Coal-fired Power Plants in America
- He was the pioneer of Satyagraha , mass resistance to government oppression through peaceful, non-violent civil disobedience and non-cooperation.
- That there are risks associated with civil disobedience no one would deny, and among them is the risk of anarchy.
- Incidents of civil disobedience are now jointly orchestrated by participants and police so they can be carried out with minimum fuss.
- For the first time, protesters were calling forcefully Wednesday for labor strikes, despite a warning by Suleiman that calls for civil disobedience are "very dangerous for society and we can't put up with this at all. Egypt Labor Strikes Break Out Across The Country; Protesters Defiant
- But in a move that is being hailed as a model of civil disobedience, the whole village revolted. Times, Sunday Times