[ UK /ʃˈɑːlətən/ ]
[ US /ˈʃɑɹɫətən/ ]
[ US /ˈʃɑɹɫətən/ ]
- a flamboyant deceiver; one who attracts customers with tricks or jokes
How To Use charlatan In A Sentence
- I have recently taken the advice of a charlatan going by the name of Dr. Spinola.
- My fault for being such an eejit as to give a charlatan a fortune for dressed-up tripe.
- When the cup of human life is so overflowing with woe and pain and misery, it seems to me a narrow dilettanteism or downright charlatanism to devote one's self to petty or bizarre problems which can have no relation to human happiness, and to prate of self-satisfaction and self-expression. Woman Her Sex and Love Life
- German's work; but what perhaps the world calls charlatanism in him is really only the reaction of genius when it comes into conflict with the brutal obstinacy of real life. Suspended Judgments Essays on Books and Sensations
- Here, the character Ms. Kudrow plays is far from sympathetic—she's psychotherapist Fiona Wallice, a charlatan, and a remorseless, self-obsessed one, busy peddling what she's fond of describing as her new "treatment modality. Therapy as Shock Treatment
- I have been accused of perfidy, malingering, duplicity, charlatanism and forty other words that I don't know the meaning of.
- And I had come to be oppressed by what seemed to me the futility of art -- a pompous legerdemain, a consummate charlatanry that deceived not only its devotees but its practitioners. CHAPTER II
- Over the years I have become more and more aggravated by the way Americans butcher the English language, by the way members of the media misuse terms, by the charlatanical ways in which corrupt persons in power desecrate noble words such as "democracy" which, coming from their mouths, is the equivalent of the word "love" emanating from the mouth of a whore. Award Winning author, journalist and humorist, Burton H. Wolfe is Interviewed
- You believe this, but are you going to show us examples of his "charlatanry" ... wow April 9, 2009 - 12: 37 ET by NewsBusters.org - Exposing Liberal Media Bias
- Cranks and charlatans abound when we are all experts in our own field, and consequently nobody is a real expert at all.