[ US /ˈtʃæns/ ]
[ UK /tʃˈɑːns/ ]
[ UK /tʃˈɑːns/ ]
an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another
bad luck caused his downfall
we ran into each other by pure chance
a measure of how likely it is that some event will occur; a number expressing the ratio of favorable cases to the whole number of cases possible
the probability that an unbiased coin will fall with the head up is 0.5
if that phone call is for me, chances are it's my wife
the possibility of future success
his prospects as a writer are excellent
a possibility due to a favorable combination of circumstances
now is your chance
the holiday gave us the opportunity to visit Washington
a risk involving danger
you take a chance when you let her drive
come upon, as if by accident; meet with
I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here
We find this idea in Plato
She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day
be the case by chance
I chanced to meet my old friend in the street
take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome
When you buy these stocks you are gambling
occurring or appearing or singled out by chance
a chance occurrence
a casual meeting
seek help from casual passers-by
How To Use chance In A Sentence
- So, no wonder the chancellor's keeping shtum. Times, Sunday Times
- The euphoria reached phenomenal levels when the kids got a chance to share the stage with their stars.
- Now, though, insurers find they are increasingly paying out for teenagers crashing expensive vehicles that they would not normally have the ghost of a chance of obtaining cover for.
- Sony Pictures Animation has a full slate of films including the mouth-watering 3D comedy Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, which opened as the #1 movie in North America on September 18, Hotel Transylvania, now in pre-production and, in association with Columbia Pictures, The Smurfs, now in production. Anton Yelchin and Fred Armisen Join The Smurfs | /Film
- I can find no legitimate references to the use of metallic, inorganic, or organic silver compounds as a sanitizer, disinfectant, or sterilizing agent. quaternary ammonium chloride compounds - Mixtures of compounds such as alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride, didecyl dimethyl ammonium chloride, dioctyl dimethyl ammonium chloride, and octyl decyl dimethyl ammonium chloride are very commonly used as surface sanitizer; if you look at your household cleaners that claim disinfecting properties, there's a high percentage chance that you'll find a "quat". Question ;Microdyne
- I thought I wouldn't get another chance to munge the name "I, Robot" again. June 2007
- It's worth taking chances when you're shooting at a chance of fame and wealth.
- The chancellor has declined to alter the co-determination of company decisions exercised by management and labor jointly.
- Some random bluster and name-drop: "In 2005, we sponsored Rock the Vote, [garbled, something about wine], we got a chance to connect with President Obama then. "I want to see that invitation": D.C. 'Housewives' recap and fact-check (#8, Oct. 1)
- High-quality sprinkler systems and new fireproof roofing materials, for example, can reduce the chance of fire.