[ US /ˈkætəˌkɫɪsəm/ ]
[ UK /kˈætɐklˌɪzəm/ ]
[ UK /kˈætɐklˌɪzəm/ ]
- a sudden violent change in the earth's surface
an event resulting in great loss and misfortune
the earthquake was a disaster
the whole city was affected by the irremediable calamity
How To Use cataclysm In A Sentence
- Set inside the Void, this story follows the life of Edeard, a young 'shaper' whose life is changed forever by a cataclysmic event and he finds his way to the great city of Makkatheren where he enters the service of the constables. Archive 2007-08-01
- The aesthetic revolutions of the 20th century, in painting, music and literature, reflected the galvanizing cataclysms of the times - the world wars, the Holocaust, the nuclear peril.
- They abound in matters of interest to the investigator of masonic symbolism and philosophy, but should be read with a careful view of the preconceived theory of the learned author, who refers everything in the ancient religions to the influences of the Noachic cataclysm, and the arkite worship which he supposes to have resulted from it. The Symbolism of Freemasonry
- Given the Bush disaster change sounded great but when specifics begin to take shape all the gored oxes line up to threaten cataclysm. Poll of Polls: President's approval ratings slip
- It's the apocalypse, the cataclysm, doomsday, the big firework!
- They have cataclysmic visions of what will happen to the world if Orestes escapes punishment, since there will be no justice to this matricidal murderer.
- The question of how stars die is currently a major focus of stellar research, and is particularly directed toward the energetic explosions that destroy a star in one cataclysmic event.
- As Bethany's warnings continue to prove accurate beyond fluke and she begins to offer scientifically precise hints of a final, world-altering cataclysm, Gabrielle is confronted with a series of devastating choices in a world in which belief has become as precious - and as murderousas life itself. The Rapture by Liz Jensen: Book summary
- And if you don't pay attention to the alarm sounded by the loss of a species then you run the risk of major, cataclysmic upheaval and suffering in the future.
- The cataclysm that brought about this level of species loss defies comprehension. SPIX'S MACAW: THE RACE TO SAVE THE WORLD'S RAREST BIRD