- British admiral; was captain of the H.M.S. Bounty in 1789 when part of the crew mutinied and set him afloat in an open boat; a few weeks later he arrived safely in Timor 4,000 miles away (1754-1817)
How To Use Captain Bligh In A Sentence
- He attempted to envisage and explain the incredible feat of navigation undertaken by Captain Bligh after the Mutiny.
- Pitcairn was the final landing place for the mutineers from the Bounty who had rebelled against Captain Bligh.
- In appointing Captain Bligh to rule the colony, the English Government spoiled an excellent seaman to make a very inefficient Governor.
- Captain Bligh: If that's an attempt to earn clemency, I spit on it.
- The ship sailed for the Caribbean, but the infamous mutiny off Tonga resulted in Captain Bligh and a small party of loyal seamen being forced into a small boat, in which they made an epic journey to Timor.
- The well-known breadfruit tree brought to the island by Captain Bligh in 1793 was first planted here, and its descendants are still to be found in the gardens.
- He joined the navy as a midshipman when he was 16, and two years later sailed with Captain Bligh on the expedition to carry breadfruit plants from Tahiti to the West Indies.
- In 1789, the first mate of the Bounty, Fletcher Christian, had cast Captain Bligh and 18 others adrift in an open boat.