- a zone consisting of a strip of land across the Isthmus of Panama that contains the Panama Canal
How To Use Canal Zone In A Sentence
- In bringing the language to extensive territories, these two military, cultural, and commercial powers installed it as well in small but strategic places, such as islands in major bodies of water and in the two canal zones, Suez and Panama, where English became an idiom of truncated and time-saving passage between oceans. The English Is Coming!
- My dad was from Virginia but he didn't harbor the deep-rooted racism prevalent at the time in the South and blatantly institutionalized in classic colonial style in the Canal Zone. Will Wright: Thanks Dad for Failing: Even When Dads Fall Short, Good Can Come of It
- For example, Theodore Roosevelt, who is described by Henry Kissinger as defining America's role in the world "completely in terms of national interest," was the first to proclaim America's "police power" in the international arena, establishing the Panama Canal Zone and occupying Cuba under its auspices. Ty McCormick: Beyond Realism and Idealism: Explaining Obama's Shifting Middle East Policy
- Moving back to the Panama Canal Zone, I learned five computer languages and became supervisor of the computer department.
- It is unfair to suggest medal offices have been dilatory in distributing Canal Zone medals.
- Naval base in 1936, when the Panama Canal Zone was a U.S. territory. CNN Transcript Apr 2, 2008
- Because the former Canal Zone abuts the old city on the north and west, the growing population was forced to fan out along the bay to the north and east.
- We have always followed the Panamanian people's valinat struggle, very closely, but particularly so in the past few years -- their struggle for rights, for the revindication of full sovereignty, for demands over the Canal Zone. PANAMANIAN NEWSMEN INTERVIEW CASTRO
- At the time, it was at best unclear whether anyone born in the Panama Canal Zone was a "natural born citizen" -- that is, a citizen at birth. Gautam Dutta: John McCain: Citizen of the US?
- Also invited were members of other ex-service organisations, and several uniformed and religious groups, as well as the national organiser of the Canal Zoners.