become quiet or calm, especially after a state of agitation
After the fight both men need to cool off.
It took a while after the baby was born for things to settle down again.
make calm or still
quiet the dragons of worry and fear
become quiet or less intensive
the fighting lulled for a moment
How To Use calm down In A Sentence
- I had to go get a double shot of espresso to calm down.
- Just calm down - shouting won't solve anything!
- I could hear my little one screaming and then heard Ryan telling him to calm down and get mummy some flannels.
- Once in awhile he'll tell me to calm down, tell me, 'Don't overswing.' USATODAY.com - Gifted pair revealing more for us
- The video is extremely shaky, but Cooper and his crew are clearly under siege, and Cooper can be heard saying he's been hit, yelling "calm down" and talking to his camerawoman. WATCH: Anderson Cooper Egypt Attack Video
- Calm down, buddy [ old chap ] . What's the trouble?
- Calm down! I've said I'm sorry.
- So the next time you have a major presentation/meeting, calm down take deep breaths for at least one minute.
- I know you detest them; hate doesn't do justice to how you must feel, but you have to calm down.
- Calm down, there's nothing to worry about.