[ UK /kˈɑːm/ ]
[ US /ˈkɑɫm, ˈkɑm/ ]
[ US /ˈkɑɫm, ˈkɑm/ ]
not agitated; without losing self-possession
spoke in a calm voice
tranquil life in the country
remained calm throughout the uproar
a serene expression on her face
he remained serene in the midst of turbulence
she became more tranquil
(of weather) free from storm or wind
steadiness of mind under stress
he accepted their problems with composure and she with equanimity
- wind moving at less than 1 knot; 0 on the Beaufort scale
cause to be calm or quiet as by administering a sedative to
The patient must be sedated before the operation
become quiet or calm, especially after a state of agitation
After the fight both men need to cool off.
It took a while after the baby was born for things to settle down again.
make calm or still
quiet the dragons of worry and fear
How To Use calm In A Sentence
- The calm was eerie; the vista serene and surreal. Times, Sunday Times
- Evidentally, this is an effective way for her to keep herself calm because she is easily excitable.
- Jeffrey's voice was rough and his words were harsh but Anthony remained calm and cool, save his eyes.
- They have already, we note, calmly written their answer down some time before.
- The sea was its usual calm blue, a glassy liquid surface stretching till it fused with the horizon in a spectacle of colour.
- Petroleum Exporting Countries (Opec) would make a decision on whether to boost output to calm minister said on Tuesday he sees no push by OPEC members to raise oil output to counter a spike in prices to 18-month highs. WN.com - Business News
- The captain continues the bitter commentary for a moment before calming himself down, saying he knows that Jenko wouldn't have wanted them to get angry about his death, and himself would have "rapped" to them about balance in the cosmos "and some nonsense about karma. Tomato Nation
- Because it improves digestion but does not heat the body, Amla-Berry is ideal for calming mild to moderate hyperacidity.
- A few people were crying, and one girl was very sick and puking, but most people tried to stay calm.
- I asked, trying to keep my voice calm, even though panic was fogging my brain.